BY RUTH BERAN
From checkout operators to train drivers, artificial intelligence is already replacing human workers.
DISCUSSION: Can robots replace journalists?
In some ways they already are:
- Bloomberg News uses Cyborg, automated technology that assists journalists in creating roughly a third of its content.
- China has deployed an AI news anchor
- Kodomoroid is a newsreader robot designed for Miraikan, the Japanese National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation. When Kodomoroid was first showcased in 2014, she was one of the most realistic androids in the world.
Most commentators agree that AI will never replace reporters completely but may add to the tools currently used in the newsroom.
In particular, humans possess creative skills that robots simply do not have.
“One of the hardest things that reporters do is come up with new story ideas. It’s much harder than anyone imagines to engage in that creative process and come up with something that is truly novel. Most of us come up with ideas that have already been done because they’re easy ideas. So I’m really interested in using AI to trigger reporters’ natural creative processes. So not to replace reporters but to augment their existing abilities,” says Meredith Broussard from NYU: https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/ai-in-journalism/
Developing your ability to:
- come up with ideas
- pitch ideas
- debate ideas
- advocate for your ideas
is one point of difference that humans have in the battle of artificial intelligence that may be hitting our newsrooms in the future.
Pitch your story for this week’s radio show, or pitch an idea for another piece of content to add to your portfolio.
NOTE: For Assessment 2 you must compile a diary of your editorial meetings and the stories you pitch to Nick and me during the semester, including:
- notes from each weekly editorial meeting that include the date and time of each meeting, the students present, and the matters and ideas discussed (notes may be handwritten, and do not need to be neat);
- story ideas and how you pitched them to your teacher, and why you think they are a good fit for Off Campus
Let me know if you need to discuss this, particularly if you haven’t been keeping notes during class.
Now, go CREATE content!