BY RUTH BERAN
The term social media can be hard to define because of the broad range of platforms out there.
Wikipedia defines social media as “interactive digitally-mediated technologies that facilitate the creation or sharing/exchange of information, ideas, career interests, and other forms of expression via virtual communities and networks.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_media
DISCUSSION: What are some of the common elements of social media platforms?
- are interactive
- are internet based
- are based on user-generated content
- enable users to create profiles
- facilitate social networks
Write a list of all the different social media platforms you can think of.
There are five types of social media platforms:
- Social networking
- Photo sharing
- Video sharing
- Interactive media
Divide the social media platforms in your list into these five different categories.
WATCH: A data visualisation of the most popular social media platforms based on monthly active users.
For each of the social media sites you have listed, research:
- Number of users (globally vs Australia)
- Audiences/demographics (ie age, gender, country)
- Purposes (why do people use that platform/what are the pros and cons)
- Which platforms are most popular in different countries? Are there certain platforms that are particularly popular in certain countries, For example, China, US, UK, France
DISCUSSION: Why is this information on social media platforms useful for our social media strategy for Off Campus?
Choose one social media platform. Create a research brief on the audience profile of that social media platform.
- A short (50-100 word) summary of the topic
- Key considerations for Off Campus for that topic
- Relevant data, sources or resources for the topic
- Sample posts, materials or how-to guides
This research brief can form part of your portfolio for the Assessment. See the Subject Guide for more.