BY RUTH BERAN
Professional phone calls
Finding the courage to make a professional phone call can be hard, but it is well worth the effort.
- When you’ve applied for a job in the past has it been by email, online, phone, or in person?
- Have you ever called to speak to someone about a job before applying?
- What did you say?
- What questions did you ask?
- Did you get the job?
READ: Read this article I wrote for the Lawyer’s Weekly on the art of calling when applying for jobs.
Keeping in contact
As you go through your career it is important to keep track of your professional contacts. One way to do this is by keeping a contact book, another is via LinkedIn.
DISCUSSION: Do you have a LinkedIn profile?
TASK: Today you will be creating your own LinkedIn profile. If you already have one, it’s time to go over it and see if it needs tweaking.
To start, read this blog on Starting out with LinkedIn by Natalie Pozdeev.
Here are some more tips:
- make an impression, use Canva to create a stunning banner image
- customise your LinkedIn url
- Try using images or emoticons for bullet points in your summary