BY RUTH BERAN
Voice and personality
Brands need a voice, particularly on social media.
Your brand’s voice is the distinct personality it takes on in its communications.
How would you describe the OffCampus social media personality?
TASK: Read this article on social media voice and do the following exercises using the Off Campus’ personality:
- if it was a celebrity or public figure, who would that be?
- what adjectives will describe your vibe and tone?
READ: Here is a good description of the TAFE social media personality. Would you add anything?
The Journal of Consumer Psychology defines perceived brand authenticity as:
“The extent to which consumers perceive a brand to be faithful toward itself, true to its consumers, motivated by caring and responsibility, and able to support consumers in being true to themselves.”
- What do you think brand authenticity is?
- How can a brand be authentic?
- Why do consumers want a brand to be authentic?
- Do you think that OffCampus is an authentic brand? Why/Why not?
Putting the listening into social media
One way to discover opportunities for building a social media presence is to do some social listening. This is when you track social media platforms for mentions and conversations related to your brand.
- What are the two steps to social listening
- What is the difference between social media monitoring and social media listening?
- How can social listening help grow the OffCampus platforms?
Building a ‘tribe’
According to Seth Godin, a tribe is any group of people, large or small, who are connected to one another, a leader, and an idea.
WATCH: Seth Godin talking about tribes:
To build a tribe, you need to foster a sense of community by sending a message that is personal, relevant, and anticipated.
Using Canva create a social media post for one of the OffCampus platforms. Now show your image to the rest of the class and describe how your post demonstrates voice, authenticity, and builds a tribe.
Deciding which social platforms to make the backbone of your brand
Different social media platforms have different personalities, reach and demographics.
READ: this article on choosing the right social media platforms for your brand.
Choose a brand you admire.
- Determine which social media platform is the focus of the brand. Why do you think they have they chosen that platform?
- How has the brand built their tribe?
- Show how the brand does social listening (take a screenshot of relevant posts)
- What is the brand’s voice and personality?
- Do you think the brand is authentic? Why?
Discuss with the rest of the class.